Thursday, September 29, 2011

Resident Evil 4 By Chad D.

As I was looking through the stock of my local GameStop the other day, I found a game that immediately grabbed my attention: Resident Evil 4. “Sweet, zombies!” I said, pulling the game off of the shelf.

After purchasing the game and returning home, I slid the disk carefully into my Wii, and began to play...


Despite the game being around five years old, I was immediately blown away by its quality, and found myself playing for hours more than I had originally anticipated. The further I ventured into the infected village of “El Pueblo” (the game takes place in rural Spain), the more I discovered, from tripwire bomb traps to the ever-helpful shotgun. I was also amazed at how varied the game was; one minute I was running away from a rolling boulder, and the next I was driving a motorboat through a large lake containing a genetically engineered sea monster. Upon successfully taking down the monster with a bevy of carefully placed harpoons, I was convinced that this game would become my second favorite game of all time. As the night wore on, I found myself defending a cabin from an onslaught of infected villagers, infiltrating a castle to rescue the president’s daughter, and exploring the labs beneath the island fortress of the main enemy of the game, “Los Illuminados” (the Enlightened Ones). Packing handguns, shotguns, rifles, mine throwers, grenades, machine guns, a rocket launcher, magnums, and a knife, I was ready to square off against enemies of all sorts, including infected villagers, giant cave troll-esque creatures, cultists, infected wolves, and a miniboss named J.J. packing a chaingun and sporting a beret. As you can probably tell, I think this game is phenomenal with the gameplay, environment, customization, exploration, replayability, and fun-level off the charts.

This game may be less scary than other Resident Evil games were in their times (think action-horror versus survival horror), but it is a good starting point for newcomers to the series. The next game in the series, Resident Evil 5, is more recent and follows largely in the footsteps of Resident Evil 4, but I have not yet had the fortune to play it. All in all, this game deserves the flurry of perfect scores it got in its time, and ultimately receives the prestigious position of being my second favorite game of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment