Monday, November 7, 2011

The War between Painful and Peaceful Memories By: Sophie L.

“No showers for 4 days? EWWW!” shouted one sophomore.

“I would rather go to school on the weekends than go on a backpacking trip!” posted another on Facebook.

Everywhere: on Facebook, in the Great Hall, in the dorms and on the phone, all I heard were complaints about the trip; no one seemed to want to go on the backpacking trip this year. I indeed expected the majority of sophomores to be glad that the weather was gorgeous. But the pretty weather seemed to inspire them to fear the wilderness...

When we arrived at the start of our hike I worried that the weather would be too hot for the sophomores to climb the mountain with their heavy backpacks. However, it was neither too burning nor too freezing. The students were perfectly grouped and enjoyed the warming rays of the golden sun. Each group started going up the mountain, waving back to civilization.

“I just wanted to get my first day done,” said Abbie D, “and I was dreading it but I was still excited.” At least she had something that she wanted to get done- many students could not foresee anything. The mountains were too gigantic and high, they seemed endless, and the students had four more days to go. However, at the same time, other students felt that the backpacking trip was an excellent way to experience something new. Very new.

“How many more miles do we have to walk?” asked Dan V. to his group leader. All Dan could see was a ceaseless path ahead of him. His head started spinning around, and he stumbled. Fortunately, one minute later, his group shouted with exciting relief: “I see the lake! I see the lake!”

Only the first day was exhausting, and the rest of the days seemed to go fine, but the students could not avoid what Jinny P called the “big and small bumpy things.” Alas: mosquito bites. “I shook my whole body and jumped all the time,” Ji Soo H. shook her head, “And I could hear all my friends slapping their bodies to prevent the mosquitoes from sucking their blood.” All Jinny heard every day on the trip was “a buzzing in her ear, and a sudden ‘Clap’ before the mosquitoes found some good tasting food.”

Although many sophomores were horrified by the mosquito bites, they did make some good memories. Karen W. in Dan’s group, shouted out: “Let’s dance like jellyfish!” Although jellyfish tend not to hang out in the wilderness, it was random enough to for the students to laugh out loud. Also, since the weather was spectacular, “We could enjoy the bright light on the sky covered with the darkness on the upper side of the sky,” Ji Soo smiled. She added, “Eating dinner gave me a sense of freedom, and the campfire with gray and spicy smoke summed up the yucky and itchy days of this trip.”

On the final day, Jinny and her friends hugged each other and talked about how they hated “the red dots” all over their bodies. “We wished that we could see each other better looking, with fewer bug bites on Monday” said Jinny. “I was exhausted but really proud of myself for completing this trip,” Abbie said, “And I was really excited to take a shower and sleep in a bed!” “Although I did not want to think about the trip,” Dan said, “The green mountains reminded me of the moment that all of us chilled on the log.” “The ‘war’ peacefully ended,” Jinny concluded.  It was a trip that will be remembered.



No comments:

Post a Comment