Thursday, December 8, 2011

A Film You Should See, and Probably Have by Paul K.

Whenever I polish off the last of my family’s Thanksgiving leftovers I know the holiday is upon us. Soon you’ll see every other car around you with a Christmas tree on its roof and there will be so much green, red and white around you’ll forget other colors exist. There is no better time than now to get a head start on that Christmas pep so you can get carols stuck in your friends’ heads before they do the same to you. I decided  to watch a Christmas movie every day this December, almost like an advent calendar, and naturally the best movie to start with is Home Alone...


Home Alone begins with the McAllister family taking a Christmas vacation to Paris and they accidentally neglect to bring their eight-year-old son, Kevin, with them. I, for one, hate it whenever my family does this, but Kevin takes full advantage of the opportunity and spends the next few days partying hard in his empty house. Until two hapless burglars, Marv and Harry, decide his house is a prime target for a good ransacking. Kevin learns how to protect himself using the materials around him Bear Grylls style, and makes booby traps to try and stop these dangerous criminals. This spirals into a hilarious romp around that’s about as close as you can get if you were trying to make a movie out of the game Mousetrap. I couldn’t have been the only one to hope this situation occurred so I could outwit menacing criminals with a squirt gun, dental floss, and a brick when I first saw the movie. Home Alone is a timeless classic, and it deserves to be remembered alongside movies like How the Grinch Stole Christmas for the way it touched many peoples’ hearts. Without counting the sequels of various qualities, it has had a lasting effect on youths worldwide. I give this movie 9.5 out of a possible 10 and I strongly recommend you watch it if you haven’t and watch it again if you have.


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE THIS MOVIE! I used to watch it so much when I was younger

    ReplyDelete