Thursday, February 28, 2013

OES: Super Fit Kids by Grace C.


 With Spring sports season now starting up, I’ve been hearing a lot of classmates going up to each other asking “Are you sore after yesterday’s practice?” The advent of each sports season always begins like this as students start off a rigorous season of soccer, basketball or lacrosse with grueling tryouts. 


As an only winter-sport athlete, I understand the struggle to strap on my basketball shoes after spending all of the Fall eating bags of potato chips and quarts of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream.  I was hesitant to take Coleen’s Weight Lifting class, since I heard that the mile and half was a requirement, but since I need a P.E credit in order to graduate, I have not returned to that couch potato life after basketball season ended. And let me tell you, it feels GREAT. I don’t mean to be Jenny Craig or Jennifer Hudson for Weight Watchers, but having a full hour to work out in the middle of the day (G-Block) could not be more of a lifesaver.  Not only can you feel yourself getting stronger as the weeks pass, but after each class you feel much more awake and ready to take on the second half of the school day. It’s a great compromise for not playing a sport this Spring; it’s always a struggle to pick up your homework at 7PM after a long day of school followed by a grueling practice.

But this brings me to say that all OES students give an effort to stay healthy. I know several friends who are doing two sports at the same time, and to do all that AND keep up with OES schoolwork is a feat in itself. So to every student who is currently playing or has played a sport this year, GOOD ON YA, because what’s better than feeling like a million bucks after a breaking a great sweat?

Good luck to all Spring sport athletes. I hope 2013 turns out to be a successful season!

No comments:

Post a Comment