Tuesday, April 2, 2013

60's Movies and Yoga by Cara D.


Over Winterim, I had the pleasure of joining Chris Myers’ class watching 60’s movies.  We began each morning stockpiling candy, chips, and soda to prepare for two hours of screen time.  Throughout the week and a half, we viewed a total of eight movies from various genres.  



My two favorites included Mike Nichols’ The Graduate and Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho.  The Graduate is a romantic comedy that focuses on the life of Ben, played by Dustin Hoffman, after college.  Feeling his life is on a downward spiral, Ben has an affair with his neighbor, Mrs. Robinson, altering this lighthearted film into a more dramatic picture.  The movie was very engaging and filled with classic 60’s music, including the famous song written for the movie, Mrs. Robinson, by Simon and Garfunkel.  On a different note, if you’re into thriller films, Psycho is the perfect movie.  A classic horror movie, it focuses on hotel owner, Norman Bates.  He seems like a normal, but lonely man, yet after shocking twists in the plot, the truth behind Mr. Bates is revealed.  This movie certainly kept me on my toes and shaking throughout every scene.
Later in the day, I enjoyed yoga at Yo-Yo-Yogi yoga studio in downtown Portland.  This form of exercise proved to be difficult at times, as I’m not the most flexible person, but I stuck it out with the help of my friends.  I was very surprised to find how great of a workout yoga is.  It helped to build tension in my body and relieve stress in my mind (mostly thanks to child’s pose).  I would definitely recommend practicing this art form along with regular exercise for a complete workout regimen.

1 comment: