Thursday, May 9, 2013

Flans in Spanish by Elanie F



Flan is a very common dessert in Latin America. It can be served in many different ways, such as with dulce de leche, coco or cheese. The best flan must be smooth with a medium amount of sugar. In Spanish IV class, we recently started an art project which can be done with cooking, and I chose to bake flans as my presentation about South America.
Photo by Elanie F.

I chose the recipe from Venezuela which there is no evaporated milk involved. To serve 6 people, we need 2 eggs, 14 oz of condensed milk, white sugar, and vanilla extract. First of all, heat and stir the sugar on the stove until it turns brown and sticky, pour it to the bottom of the baking dish, make a very thin layer and wait for it to cool down. Then mix the eggs and condensed milk and vanilla until they are mixed evenly. Put the mixture on top of the cooled sugar and bake for about 15 minutes—only an easy 30-minute-process can produce delicious flans!


Photo by Elanie F.
However, though I am pretending to be professional and introducing this flan recipe here, the flans that I served my class were not perfect. Too much sugar at the bottom (so remember, thin layer of sugar!) and I had the problem with putting too much eggs and the top of the flans got overcooked very quickly... So, choose small eggs for baking flans!

No comments:

Post a Comment